I have spent a bit of time this week using some products I purchased with big plans probably over a year ago now. I decided I needed to get on with this while it was summer, while paint dries quicker and you can ventilate the house with open windows and fresh air. So I took to the ugly old dresser in my bedroom with 'French' in mind and the result is splendid, although it is much better in 3D reality than I can get the photos to show.
I started the process by securing the French style appliques I got from do it yourself chic with some E6000, haven't used that glue before but it seems pretty secure. I have used these appliques before and they are an easy way of getting pretty & interesting onto your project.
Then I ventured into my stash of Annie Sloan chalk paint. Again, I have used this several times before now and it is just the BEST paint ever, no sanding, you just slap it on in any direction and one coat will do. Of course if you like French Shabby it is fantastic but not for those who like clean modern lines.
No modern minimalism for me, I am definitely a maximalist girl.
The colour I chose for this project was 'Paris Grey'
Next I cracked open the Annie Sloan soft wax. First a coat of clear wax and then a coat of dark wax wherever it takes you fancy. Rub some off for lighter of leave heaps for darker. You can see where it sticks in the applique you get nice amounts of darker bits.
I also finger rubbed some European Gold Rub n Buff onto the appliques for some metallic shine and so they sparkle a little.
I also updated the hardware to some bling bling pieces I purchased from House of Antique Hardware.
LOOKING FABULOUS with just a few hours effort.
I have been a busier little beaver this week. Not only did I achieve the dresser makeover but I also started working on two quilting projects and finished the stitching on the second piece of the Winter Casket Keepsakes.
I now have the two sides done on Amy Mitten's Winter Casket Keepsakes for the Pin/Needle Keep. They are just so cute and were fun to stitch. It's slow going though as I have not been spending a lot of time on this project.
I started some preparation for the Quiltmania BOM, Di Ford's Mountmellick. I have decided for the first time ever as I normally machine applique that for this one I am going to attempt to hand applique, at least for the centre block. As there is a lot of Broderie Perse I think the result will be more pleasing. I want to start now so I am not too far behind when the next magazine comes out. So I have cut out and marked the background where the main pieces go and cut the stem strips on the bias. I purchased some hand applique needles yesterday and am now ready to attach the stems. Hopefully I will get that done this week. I also tea dyed the dutch chintz as per Di's video so it more closely matches the background. It has turned out great and I am now a huge fan and will be no longer afraid.
I also decided that after quite sometime of having all parts of the Civil War Bride Quilt BOM in my possession I should really make a start. So I got all the pieces out and made a start on the first block. Due to the primitive and chunkier nature of this quilt I am going to machine applique as Michele Hill of William Morris fame does with a 1.5 blanket stitch, nice and fine. The first block pieces are all fused on and my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 is looking forward to the action.
The evenings are still dedicated to the Needleworker's Pocketbook. I am now onto the cartouche strip with a last eyelet strip after that for this particular piece.
Apologies for the blurry pic.
Whew, I think that's it...
...except for the mega excitement building due to the Thistle Threads CoC II Stumpwork course starting this weekend AND my casket is finally winging it's way here and I cannot wait for it to arrive all safe and sound so I can start to envisage my designs upon it. I need it before me in all it's 3D glory to envoke that creative process and to try and get all the swirling ideas out of my head and onto it's form.
What a fantastic week.