Sunday 20 July 2014

What's A Girl To Do On A Cold Winter Holiday

The short break is over, the sun shone but it sure was cold and still is. That southerly wind chill sure is mean and makes for sitting in cafes in Tauranga who all had the doors open and NO heaters, rather a cold affair. I don't really get that, not an outdoor or indoor heater in sight!!!

But we had fun none-the-less and what's a girl to do on a round trip when things are chilly, head indoors of course at every patchwork shop you pass!!! All that excitement generates it's own heat!

Hubby decided to go through Gordonton and through Cambridge to Tirau which was the first destination. I course I let him sort the navigational plan and then quietly suggested that...since we are going this way....he walked right into it LOL

So Grandmother's Garden was my first quilty related stop off....youngest daughter in full support of the decision....



Then it was on to Tirau for lunch and a most definitely planned visit to my favourite homeware shop Notting Hill Interiors. I found a couple of trinkets most suitable to sit in my studio. The birdie paper weight will be great for holding down the edge of projects worked at my desk and....



....this sweet little jewellery holder  has been repurposed as my applique pin dish


Kiddies and their father went off to the sweet shop and came back loaded with stuff to satisfy their sweet tooths, we were all happy.

Then it was off over the Kaimai's to Mount Maunganui. The sky was clear and blue. The surf was not up to much on the main beach though so no easterlies passing through there of late but there was of course plenty of activity along the boardwalk.

This was the sunny view from our apartment at the Oceanside Resort the whole time we were there.


But of course that didn't stop the entire family spending the early parts of the next morning on iphones and ipads and ignoring the view....


Of course....what was I taking the photo with!!! 

We spent a cool couple of days visiting parents and eating way too much but it was nice to get away for a change of scene even if you did have to rug up big time.

My parents live in Rotorua and so I of course I could not resist the opportunity to check out the new and improved Cottage Flair while visiting them for lunch. Jill's new shop is lovely and my Mum is a regular customer, lucky her. Couldn't walk out empty handed of course....the family went off to occupy themselves at the local ice cream parlour and were gone a suspiciously long time....I know this because I didn't have anyone come back telling me to hurry up....when they did turn up just as I was ready....turns out hubby took them all on a short scenic helicopter ride and they loved it. Again, all were happy.


On the way back to Auckland we took the scenic route up through KatiKati and Waihi. And, you guessed it, Cushla's Waihi is on the way. Hubby and eldest uninterested daughter parked up on the kerb outside the shop next to the very ironically located telephone booth where there is a Telecom Wifi hotspot so they were sorted and the youngest and I went for a gander inside. Again I was tempted and I did find a great Yoko Saito book called Strolling Along Paths of Green that has the best pictures and instructions for her techniques that I have seen. Score.



Heading North again we stopped off for a planned lunch at Karangahake Gorge at a place we have visited often the Ohinemuri Winery. We always share the platter and the kids love it. Once again it did not disappoint.

Back home today chilling and laying low away from the chilly outdoors before school starts again tomorrow.

I did get a few stitches into my Patchwork of the Crosses while I was away but not as much as I planned. Still it is all progress.


Before we left for holiday on Wednesday I did manage to get this far with my four Mountmellick borders....loving the look so far



I found a brochure while we were away....something to look forward too....not long now....



Rae













2 comments:

  1. looks like a fab time away, with some lovely goodies picked up along the way.
    I was in Auckland on the weekend at a quilt show in an old hall.........boy was that cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an ex-pat Kiwi. Your photo of the ocean made me homesick!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to look at my blog and to partake of my creative pursuits. Creating with textiles and fibres is a passion I embrace with abandon. Comments from those who understand this joy are food for the soul.
You can catch me at reconstructedfabulousness@gmail.com

Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...